Kodo millet (Paspalum scrobiculatum) is central to traditional rainfed farming systems of Gond farmers in eastern India. It has good protein, fibre and mineral content with a low glycemic index and can be produced excessively because of its low water requirements and early maturation that helps them escape drought. It is recognized as key assets to support farmer adaptation to climate change. It also contains small amounts of minerals like iron, magnesium, B vitamins, phosphorous, calcium, and zinc. It is a rich source of antioxidants and gluten-free staple food.
- Regular consumption of Kodo Millet is beneficial for postmenopausal women suffering from metabolic diseases like cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.
- It helps to hydrate your colon and prevent constipation.
- It also controls blood sugar of a human body.
- It helps in preventing Celiac Disease
- It helps in slowing down the muscle degradation
Recipe: Kodo Millet Pulao
- 1/2 cup kodo millet
- 1 cup water
- 1 big onion sliced
- 1 tsp ginger garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup veggies I used carrot,beans,peas
- 1 tbsp broken cashews
- 2 tsp ghee
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/4 inch cinnamon
- 1 no clove
- 1 no cardamom
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 small bayleaf
- 1 small star anise
- 1 no green chilli slitted
- Soak kodo millet in water for 10-15 mins max,Drain and set aside.Heat oil + ghee in a pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’,give a quick saute.Then add onion,crushed ginger garlic.
- Saute till its golden then add mixed veggies(rinsed & drained).Saute for 2 mins.
- Cook covered for 5 mins in low flame.Open, give a quick saute then add drained millet.
- Saute for a minute.Add water, mix it once.
- When it starts to boil – cook covered for 8-10 mins or until the water is completely absorbed.Switch off and set aside for 10 mins.Then open and fluff it up.
- Heat ghee in a pan – add cashews fry till golden brown.Add to pulao along with coriander leaves, mix well.
All the above-mentioned health benefits are not scientifically tested by B&B organics. The farmers believe that the substance showed these characteristics.