Ponni raw rice is white in color. It is aromatic and tasty. It is raw rice and not parboiled. It is cultivated around the Kaveri delta region in South India.
It is rich in nutrients like fiber and iron.
It controls the level of cholesterol in the blood.
It is rich in manganese and it is good for the nervous system as well as the reproductive system.
It is rich in minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
Recipe: Ponni raw rice Pongal
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cook : 20 mins
Ready-in: 30 mins
Skill level: Beginner
- Ponni raw rice 2 cups
- Pasiparuppu or moong dal 1/4 cup
- Pepper crushed 1/2 teaspoon
- Jeera seeds or cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Cashewnuts 8 to 10 numbers
- Ghee 3 tablespoons
- Grated ginger 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves a handful
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Green chili slit lengthwise (optional)
- Wash and soak ponni raw rice for 15 minutes.
- Now soak moong dal and cook till soft.
- Now in a tava add one tablespoon of ghee and roast the cashew nuts.
- Now again in a tava or wok add two tablespoons of ghee.
- When hot add crushed pepper and jeera seeds when they splutter add curry leaves, grated ginger, slit green chilli, and asafoetida.
- Then add 1/2 cup of water. Add salt as needed. Allow the water to boil.
- Now add cooked and mashed pasiparuppu or moong dal and the soaked rice.
- Mix well. Let it cook for a while.
- Now add the roasted cashew nuts. Ponni raw rice Pongal is ready to serve.
Disclaimer: All the above-mentioned health benefits are not scientifically tested by B&B organics. The farmers believe that the substance showed these characteristics.