Proso millet, also known as white or hog millet, is a crop which has the lowest water requirement for cultivation. It is gluten-free and has significant amounts of carbohydrates and fatty acids. It also contains essential vitamins and minerals like Thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine, Vitamin E, phosphorus, manganese, iron and potassium. It is high in essential amino acids leucine, isoleucine and methionine, making them a high-quality protein source.
|Crude Fibre||2.2 gm|
- It is a rich source of phosphorus which is essential for cell building and genetic replication in the body.
- Being high in lecithin, it helps in strengthening the nervous system.
- Proso millet helps prevent pellagra, which is a type of skin disease caused due to niacin deficiency, in which skin becomes scaly and rough and starts falling off.
- It has a high amount of calcium in absorbable form which is essential for bone growth and maintenance.
- The high content of insoluble fiber in the millet helps prevent gallstones and reduces the probability of excessive secretion of bile.
- It contains antioxidants which delay the ageing process.
Recipe: Proso millet tacos with paneer tikka and red cabbage kimchi
Ingredients (makes 16 soft millet tacos):
- 1 cup freshly grounded proso millet flour
- 2-3 tsp cold pressed sesame oil
- Black salt to taste
- 400 g cottage cheese paneer cut in cubes
- 2 tsp paneer tikka authentic spice mix
- 1 tsp gram flour
- 1 tsp coriander mint green chili paste
- Freshly-plucked lettuce leaves
- ½ cup hung curd
For instant kimchi salad:
- 1 cup finely-shredded red cabbage
- 1 tsp gochugaru spice (Korean red chili powder)
- Rock salt to taste
(Please note you can add Kashmiri red chili powder if you do not have Korean spice. You can add radish, onion, garlic, too.)
- Make fresh millet flour from cleaned, soaked and sun-dried grains.
- In a deep wok, boil 1 cup water and add salt and a few drops of oil.
- Add freshly-made flour and mix. Turn the flame off and cover the mixture for 5-10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, you will see the dough is easy to handle and is kneaded like a usual gluten dough.
- Take a small portion of the dough and with the help of a parchment paper, roll it out.
- Cut circles as shown. Cook them onto an iron griddle. Keep aside.
- Marinate cottage cheese (paneer) cubes, with some gram flour, coriander mint green chili paste and the paneer tikka spice mix.
- Saute these marinated paneer cubes and keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix red cabbage kimchi ingredients and keep aside.
- Start assembling tacos and have them fresh.
All the above-mentioned health benefits are not scientifically tested by B&B organics. The farmers believe that the substance showed these characteristics.