Thanjavur Ponni Rice is a hybrid variety of rice patented by the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University in 1986. It is grown mostly in the river Kaveri or Cauvery delta districts of Tiruchi, Thanjavur and Tiruvarur in Tamil Nadu. This rice grows well in loamy and clayey soils, requires only natural fertilizers and is disease resistant. It is ready for harvest within 135-150 days.
It is short grained and parboiled with unsaturated carbohydrates so cooks fast.
It is also rich in proteins so vegans should eat it for their protein strength.
This drought and disease resistant rice is full of fibre so is suited for all age diets.
The gruel of this rice suits all dietary regulations particularly during stomach upsets.
Recipe: Thanjavur Ponni Ghee Rice
- Thanjavur Ponni Rice 1 cup(250g)
- Ghee/oil 1 tsp each
- Whole cardamom, clove, cinnamon. each 1
- Ginger/garlic paste 1 tsp
- Coriander/mint leaves a handful
- Green chilli 1 nos
- Salt to taste
- Water 2 cup(500ml)
- Heat ghee/oil in a heavy bottom pan, splutter whole spices and add onion
- Saute the onion until translucent, add ginger garlic paste, salt, green chilli and coriander/mint leaves
- Now add the washed rice and roast for one minute until flavours are released
- Pour the water and boil without closing vessel
- When ¾ of water is absorbed, lower the flame cover with cloth and lid and keep on lowest flame for 10 minutes
- Switch off and serve hot with any curry
Disclaimer: All the above-mentioned health benefits are not scientifically tested by B&B organics. The farmers believe that the substance showed these characteristics.